There are numerous optional benefits available under the SABS. The SABS was originally designed to allow consumers to purchase additional benefits, outlined in Part VI of the SABS, such as:
- Optional coverage increasing the income replacement benefit maximum to $600, $800 or $1,000 per week (s. 28(1)1).
- Optional coverage for caregiving (s. 28(1)2(i)) and housekeeping (s. 28(1)2(ii)) benefits in non-catastrophic cases.
- Optional benefit increasing medical and rehabilitation coverage to $130,000 in non-catastrophic cases (s.28(1)3).
- Optional benefit increasing medical and rehabilitation coverage to $1,000,000 in non-catastrophic cases and $2,000,000 in catastrophic cases (s. 28(1)4).
- Optional benefit increasing medical and rehabilitation coverage to $1,000,000 in catastrophic cases (s. 28(1)5).
- Optional coverage increasing death benefits to $50,000 for the spouse and $25,000 for the dependants and $8,000 for a funeral benefit (s. 28(1)6).
- Optional dependent care coverage (s. 28(1)7).
- Optional indexation of future benefits coverage (s. 28(1)8).
Have questions for our team?
MacGillivray Law is a personal injury law firm with offices in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland and Labrador. We serve clients all across Canada.
If you cannot travel to one of our offices, we will accommodate your circumstances and travel needs. We can provide a consultation by phone, Zoom, or FaceTime, or travel to meet you in your home when required.
If you would like to learn your legal options at no obligation, contact us today to set up a free consultation.